- Wyoming Senate Committee Passes Bill to Repeal State's Death Penaltyby Death Penalty Information Center on March 6, 2021 at 1:35 am
A Wyoming state senate committee has advanced to the full Senate a bill to repeal the state’s death penalty. After taking testimony from witnesses including the state public defender’s office, family members of murder victims, a death-row […]
- Evenly Split Indiana Supreme Court Affirms Ruling Requiring Release of Execution-Drug Recordsby Death Penalty Information Center on March 5, 2021 at 4:44 am
An evenly divided Indiana Supreme Court has affirmed a trial court ruling that requires the Indiana Department of Correction (IDOC) to release records related to the lethal injection drugs Indiana has used in carrying out executions, including the identities […]
- With Overwhelming Bipartisan Support, Kentucky House Passes Bill to Ban Death Penalty for Defendants with Serious Mental Illnessby Death Penalty Information Center on March 3, 2021 at 6:08 pm
In an overwhelming bipartisan vote, the Kentucky House of Representatives has approved a bill that would prohibit the death penalty for people with severe mental illness. On March 1, 2021, the House voted by a margin of 75-16 to pass HB 148. The bill received […]
- As 6 Million Seek Clemency for Julius Jones, New Evidence that Another Man Confessed Points to His Innocenceby Death Penalty Information Center on March 2, 2021 at 3:12 pm
As supporters of Oklahoma death-row prisoner Julius Jones submitted more than six million signatures supporting his petition for clemency, new evidence emerged that another man had committed the killing that sent Jones to death row. On February 25, 2021, […]
TCADP Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
- TCADP March 2021 Newsletter: Abolition comes to the South!by Kristin on March 2, 2021 at 5:04 pm
This edition of our monthly newsletter includes case updates on Ramiro Ibarra, Raymond Riles, and James Broadnax as well as an update on death row exonerations as detailed in a new report from the Death Penalty Information Center. We also hail the […]
- Special Report: The Innocence Epidemic by the Death Penalty Information Center finds three more Texas death row exonerationsby Kristin on March 2, 2021 at 3:07 pm
The Death Penalty Information Center’s (DPIC) new Special Report: The Innocence Epidemic provides in-depth analysis regarding the facts of wrongful convictions in capital cases. With the release of this report last month, DPIC has added 11 individuals […]
- TCADP 2021 Annual Conference to take place online this Saturday, February 27, 2021by Kristin on February 24, 2021 at 2:59 pm
Civil rights advocates, journalists, and capital attorneys will address the TCADP 2021 Annual Conference, which is taking place online this Saturday, February 27, 2021. The virtual event will honor three capital defense attorneys for their zealous […]
- Stay of execution for Edward Busbyby Kristin on February 3, 2021 at 9:51 pm
The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals (CCA) has granted a stay of execution to Edward Busby based on his claim of intellectual disability. The Court’s order sends the case back to the trial court for a review on the merits. The State of Texas […]
World Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
- Pakistan’s Supreme Court Repeals Death Penalty for Mentally-Ill Peopleon February 15, 2021 at 10:07 am
By commuting two death sentences, the Supreme Court of Pakistan ruled that capital punishment cannot be carried out to people with serious mental health issues.
- Helping the world achieve a moratorium on executionson February 3, 2021 at 5:31 pm
On 16 December 2020, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the 8th resolution for a moratorium on the use of the death penalty with 123 votes in favor.
- Calling for an Official Moratorium on the Use of the Death Penalty in Bahrain ahead of the Meeting of the Council of Parison February 2, 2021 at 2:13 pm
The World Coalition Against the Death Penalty joined 6 other human rights NGOs to call upon Bahrain to observe an official moratorium on the use of the death penalty, as the Council of Paris is expected to decide on the annual subsidy granted to the Paris […]
- 246 People Removed from Death Rows in Zambiaon January 29, 2021 at 1:30 pm
The President of Zambia granted 246 new commutations to death row prisoners.
Death Penalty – Human Rights Now The Amnesty International USA Blog
- Race and the Death Penalty: “Just a Bunch of Racists”?by James Clark on November 4, 2016 at 4:29 pm
At a recent public debate of California’s competing ballot initiatives on the death penalty, Paul Pfingst, a former district attorney for San Diego County and a supporter of Prop 66, spoke about the role race plays in the death penalty. … Please […]
- Troy Davis: 5 Years Onby James Clark on September 21, 2016 at 2:00 pm
Troy was on death row for over two decades before he was finally executed. In that time he became a leader himself in the movement to end the death penalty, with his steadfast spirit and unshakeable faith in justice inspiring activists around the world.
- Troy Davis’s Legacyby Guest Writer on September 21, 2016 at 2:00 pm
By Savannah Fox, Field Organizer Five years ago today, on September 21st, I became an activist. I didn’t sign my first petition or attended my first rally. I found my passion, my anger and my hope as an activist, all … Please continue reading.
- Jeffrey Wood is Scheduled for Execution on August 24th, but he Didn’t Commit Murderby James Clark on August 17, 2016 at 9:41 pm
As death sentences and executions dwindle around the country and most states are abandoning the death penalty, a few states are determined to keep executions rolling. Top of the list is Texas, the state that’s now gearing up to execute a man who never […]